Sunday, November 30, 2014

Break Room Couscous Soup


This isn't much of a recipe; it's just putting some stuff in a jar. But I decided it's worth posting because I couldn't find a similar recipe online. What I wanted to replicate are those tasty but expensive paper cups of instant couscous soup. You know the ones? Well, I've loved them since I was a little kid but I knew there had to be a better way. A way that would be cheaper and wouldn't require disposable packaging. So after a few test runs, I've come up with a basic recipe that can easily be adapted to different seasoning variations (I want to try a curry blend next). They're great to keep at work or in your pantry for those rushed mornings when you're running late and don't have time to pack a lunch.


All these ingredients should be pretty easy to secure at a grocery store. I found an organic dehydrated veggie mix and vegetarian broth powder (MSG-free) from the bulk spice and herb section of my local grocery store. Keep in mind that broth powders will have varying amounts of salt, so if yours is super salty, start with less than a tablespoon. You can always add more.

Basic Vegetable Couscous Soup Mix:
1/4 cup couscous
1 tablespoon dehydrated vegetables (peas, celery, carrots, onions)
1 tablespoon vegetable broth powder
1/4 teaspoon each: dried parsley, garlic powder, onion powder
Pinch of dried basil, oregano, thyme, black pepper, red pepper flakes
Additional salt if desired (depends on how salty your broth powder is)

Put everything in a jar, and seal tightly until ready to use. To prepare, add about 1 cup of boiling water, cover jar, and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir and chow.

Makes one serving


1 comment:

  1. Ooh this looks tasty and is such a good idea. I love those lil cups of soupy goodness.

    ReplyDelete