Sunday, December 15, 2013

Roasted Garlic Habanero Hot Sauce


I made a double batch of this hot sauce to give as xmas gifts this year. It turned out great and can be cooked up, bottled, and hand labeled in an easy afternoon so if you are in need of a few more gifts, read on. It seems like in every hot sauce recipe I see, the blogger talks about the Hot Sauce Camp and how he or she is firmly in it. I'll say that I enjoy a good hot sauce, but I'm not the kind of person who slathers it on everything. Be warned, it is pretty darn hot so if you are interested in having a flavorful but more mild sauce, swap out half of the habaneros for an equal amount of orange bell pepper.

5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 medium carrot
Half of a small onion
12 medium orange habanero chiles, stemmed
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Additional water (as needed)

Break apart the garlic cloves and wrap them in some foil. Roast in an oven (or a toaster oven if you have one, it'll use less electricity) at 350 F for about 20 minutes. You can also dry roast the garlic cloves in a pan on the stove, just be sure to keep on eye on them and stir frequently so they roast evenly. Check the cloves; they should be soft and fragrant. If they look done, let them cool before peeling. Set aside.

Meanwhile roughly chop the carrot and onion, then add them to a medium sized pan. Add the habanero chiles (just leave them whole), vinegar and water. Partially cover and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes until the carrots are very tender. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool a bit.

Transfer the carrot/onion/habanero mixture into a blender along with the roasted garlic, salt and sugar. Blend until very smooth. Taste and decide if you want to add more salt. If you think the sauce is too thick, blend a bit more with additional water until it's where you want it. Pour into glass bottles and store in the fridge. I recommend crafting cute little labels to make it official.





3 comments:

  1. "I recommend crafting cute little labels to make it official". Haha, you have outdone yourself on the crafty cuteness with these! Edible gifts are my favorite, all the love and deliciousness and none of the "I'll have to find somewhere to put this". And I feel you on the hot sauce camp thing. My family may have started this hot sauce camp...I am all too familiar with the burn of habaneros.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! I love little labels for everything, definitely official. Thanks for the inspiration and Happy Solstice. I look forward to connecting in the New Year. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read this and I think I'll have to make some next summer. Does this keep well without refrigeration for a while? If I end up sharing it, I'll be sending it across the country and I'm wondering if I should freeze the bottle first and then ship it? Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete