Monday, December 23, 2013

Flower Power Hand Salve


Here's a nice and ultra pampering hand salve, perfect for these dry winter days. The blend of infused oils lends the salve a really nice scent without being overwhelming. I put it on every night before bed to help sooth my overly scrubbed, inky printer's hands. When I wake up in the morning my hands are soft and smooth!

12 ounces infused oil, prepared at least a month in advance
about 1 ounce beeswax
1 tablespoon cocoa butter
5 drops vitamin E oil
7 drops lavender essential oil (optional)


To make the infused oil, fill a glass jar with loosely packed dried rose, lavender, calendula, chamomile, and red clover. The amount you use is up to you and the size of the jar you are using, just make sure the jar is about 3/4 full of dried flowers. Fill the jar with oil so that the flowers are completely submerged. You can use one type of oil or a combination depending on your skin type. I used about half olive oil, with the other half being macadamia, kukui, and avocado oils.


Leave the jar on a warm, sunny window ledge for a full moon cycle being sure to shake the jar once a day.  After a month, strain the oil through a cheesecloth to remove the bits of dried flowers and store in a clean glass jar until ready to use. The oil will have a wonderful floral scent and will be packed with skin-nourishing properties.


To make the salve, gently warm the oil, beeswax and cocoa butter in a heavy nonreactive pan over low heat. Stir frequently and remove from heat the moment the wax melts. Allow to cool for a minute or two (but not long enough for it to solidify) then quickly stir in the vitamin E oil and optional lavender essential oil. Pour into glass jars, secure lids and allow to sit overnight to solidify.




2 comments:

  1. I need to do this with my rose petals, badly. Thank you for reminding me. Happy New Year dear, I hope to be able to connect with irl this year? I know I owe you an email too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still working on this. I miss your post, will try to email you soon, but life, you know. Happy New Year and hugs, I hope it's been good so far!

    ReplyDelete