Sunday, October 13, 2013

Homemade Vegan Pumpkin Creamer


Yes, I know. Blogging about pumpkin anything during the month of October is about as rampant as cat videos on youtube. But don't worry dear reader, though I could go on and on about my favorite season, I'll stop now before I get all squishy about the way the air can smell like wet leaves and chimney smoke. But I do recommend trying out this pumpkin creamer recipe. Instead of using an artificially-flavored syrup or store-bought creamer, this one uses actual pumpkin to give it that lovely color. It's delicious with coffee but my favorite way to drink it is to mix it in equal parts with a cup of simple slow cooker chai (instead of milk). This creamer isn't especially rich, so you really need to use a lot of it. So brew your coffee or tea extra strong and leave plenty of room for the creamer, maybe 1/4 or 1/3 cup. It's more like you're making a latte than adding a bit of cream to your coffee.

I adapted this recipe slightly from Girl Makes Food's Homemade Pumpkin Creamer.

2 cups vanilla soymilk or water*
3 heaping tablespoons pumpkin (cooked and pureed or the kind from a can without the spices added)
2 tablespoons almond butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
scant 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
scant 1/4  teaspoon ground ginger

Throw everything in a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. For best results, heat the creamer before adding it to your cup so you don't have a lukewarm pumpkin latte.

*10/22/13 revision: When I first posted this recipe I used water, but have since experimented with vanilla soymilk which I think is even yummier. The downside to using any kind of milk instead of water is that the final creamer won't be such a nice pumpkin-y orange as it is in the picture above. If you eat with your eyes or don't have any milk on hand use the water.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my god YES. Would you believe that literally half an hour ago I was drinking coffee and eating pumpkin strudel and thinking I wish I could just fuse these together and have a wonderful autumn-y drink. Claire to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear my timing was spot on! If you try it out, let me know what you think. Next time I make it, I will be doubling the recipe, since my mom and I polished off a batch in under 24 hours without even trying. In fact, a triple batch might be a good idea.

      Delete
  2. Hahahahahahhaha! I was just given some sugarpumpkins by our neighbors I'll have to try this. After I stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you are!? The timing on our pumpkin related posts cracked me up. Obviously, I'm in the pro-pumpkin spice camp... let me know if you actually end up enjoying yourself a PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE!

      Delete