Monday, August 5, 2013

An Explanation Over Avocado Pesto Pasta


Wow, I have really been slacking this summer! I've been keeping a mental list of several new recipe posts to share, but whenever I get the chance to make it happen, sitting in front of the computer sounds like the last thing I want to do. Maybe it's because I used up my last remaining brain cells on my thesis project, or maybe it's because sitting on a porch and grilling with friends on a summer evening will always win me over.

I started this blog to give myself a little more balance in my crazy grad school life. I loved school, but I wanted to have a reason (even a self-imposed one) to work on non-school related projects. As much as I love writing poems, setting type by hand, binding books, and making paper I also love cooking up good food and making natural soaps and cosmetics. When I started my program, it was so labor-intensive and time consuming that I felt any extra time I could muster should be spent on more school obligations. After a year and a half of that mentality I started to burn out and found myself in need of a buffer creative outlet outside my primary one. Starting this blog fit the bill, and I used it as a reward system. I could find a new homemade seitan recipe I wanted to try out and then work extra hard at all my school stuff to make time for it. Documenting these projects as a blog gave me just enough structure to justify it. I was able to stay productive at school, then spend a Sunday afternoon doing something that had nothing to do with the history of Chicago type foundries, artist's statements, experimental poetics, grant writing, or critiques.

So now that I'm not a student and I can make my own laundry soap and pickles all day long I probably need to rethink my approach to this blog. Cuz it's fun and I've been introduced to so many rad folks with killer blogs that I always look forward to reading.

Here's a really simple, slacker-approved vegan avocado and basil pesto that you can whip up in the time it takes to cook the pasta. And of course, the great thing about making pesto on a hot day is that you don't have to cook it on the stove and heat up your kitchen more than necessary. Too bad you can't use the sun tea method to cook pasta!

1/2 pound fettucine or linguine
1 avocado
1 smallish bunch of fresh basil, cleaned and stemmed
1/4 cup of slivered almonds
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Get a large pot of water boiling. While it heats up, combine everything in a food processor and blend until smooth. Scrap down the sides and process again to be sure you don't miss any of the extra good bits. Taste for seasonings and adjust as you like.

Depending on how fast you are at prepping the pesto, your pasta may or may not be done. Just hold tight until it's ready, drain, and then toss with all the pesto. Serves two.






5 comments:

  1. I was JUST roaming the interweb in recipe finding mode and thought to myself, hmm, I wonder if there are any new Arcadian Mermaid concoctions up? And lo and behold, here it is. My family and I are avocado fiends, so this is perfect. Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I could help you out, let me know how you and your family like it!

      Delete
  2. all of my favorite foods! i'll have to try it.

    and i know what you mean about blogging in the summer, despite the rewarding bits, when it's so beautiful, and all your friends are together, it can feel like a chore, but I'm happy you're still posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second what Demetria says! I'm excited to try this pasta and also, I was wondering what kind of camera you use? I'm trying to gather knowledge on cameras and I like your photos. Since you're an art grad I imagine you do a fair bit of post-process too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, I really don't know much about proper photography but I enjoy playing around with it. My camera is a super user-friendly little Sony Cyber-shot pocket camera that I got a couple years ago. It's nothing too fancy, but I can really do a lot with it. Sometimes I use my bf's Nikon DSLR, but honestly for my purposes I like my lil guy better!

      Delete