Sunday, May 5, 2013

Almost to the Finish Line

Writing a new post right now feels a bit like playing hooky; when I sat down to my computer I was intending to work on my thesis paper. But I checked my email, then read some blog buddys' posts, then decided that what I really want to do is just say hello and maybe post a recipe for old times.

So, hello! I've been a bit quiet and very busy with school. My thesis show opened and family visited and Grandma's green lace dress came out of the closet, and there were lots of pictures and excited talking and wine and general celebration. It was a fabulous whirlwind and my head's been spinning for days.

little brother and me on the train before the opening

So I've passed this one big landmark, but I'm not done yet. I have 53 more books to bind to complete my edition, a collaborative handmade paper sculpture to finish, the aforementioned Thesis Paper, and seemingly hundreds of odds and ends to attend to. Graduation is in 14 days!


And now that I've double checked that date, I should really get to work on my paper, and save the verbosity for next time. Since a good breakfast is important, here's my recipe for a very flavorful Tofu Scramble.


What you'll need:
1 block extra firm organic tofu, pressed
1 tablespoon tamari
1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon  garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt 
scant 1/4 teaspoon white pepper and cayenne (if you like some heat)
freshly ground black pepper to taste

A few tablespoons sunflower oil for frying
Sautéed veggies of your choice (I used red onion, mushrooms and zucchini)
Fresh veggies for garnish (I used scallions, avocado and cherry tomatoes)

After pressing the tofu, crumble it into a medium size bowl so that it is roughly the texture of scrambled eggs. Add all the seasonings (tamari through black pepper) and mix it all together. 

Heat up the oil in a pan (I'm sure non-stick would work well but I only have a cast iron and it's fine) then add the tofu mixture. Cook on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until the tofu is cooked to your liking. Add your sautéed veggies and cook to warm everything up. Taste for seasonings, top with garnishes and chow. 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! You're almost there! I love your blog! My asthma medication and black tea don't mix! But seriously, you're gonna rock this whole graduating business!

    ReplyDelete