Sunday, November 4, 2012

Hello November Whipped Cream (For Hands & Face)


Here in Chicago, fall is at its best in October. The leaves have turned but are for the most part still clinging to their branches, the skies can be clear and cool or gray and blustery. Daytime temperatures welcome fun and inventive outfits and markets offer the harvest's bounty. Really, for a city I'll admit it's quite lovely.


But now it's November. The days are cooling off, drying out, getting darker, and winter seems to be just around the corner. My skin is not too happy about this and seems to be expressing itself by peeling, flaking, itching and best of all, refining a charming red and splotchy characteristic. So to coerce it back to its happy low maintenance self, I'm drinking lots of water and adding this ultra nourishing and protective facial moisturizer to my daily routine.


Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons castor oil
1 tablespoon unrefined extra-virgin coconut oil

1 tablespoon beeswax (pure, unrefined & unbleached)
1 teaspoon shea butter
2 wafers cocoa butter (about 1 teaspoon)
1/2 cup distilled water
1/4 teaspoon vitamin E oil
30 drops essential oils of your choice

Using a double boiler, melt together the olive oil, castor oil, coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter, and cocoa butter. When the solids have just melted, remove from heat and pour into a medium sized mixing bowl. Set aside and let cool for about five minutes.  Meanwhile, heat the water until hot but not yet boiling.

When the oil mixture has cooled enough it will be slightly opaque and will have thickened. At this point, whisk the oils with one hand while slowly and steadily drizzle in the hot water. Whisk the mixture vigorously. In just a few seconds it will turn pale yellow and begin to thicken up. Continue whisking for a few minutes to ensure that the mixture is smooth and completely emulsified. At this point, I put it outside on my windowsill for five minutes, whisked it again, and put is back outside. I repeated this a few times until the cream was completely cooled. Add the vitamin E oil and essential oils and combine thoroughly (I used balsam peru, lavender, and orange to match my solid perfume).

Transfer into glass containers. This recipe makes enough to fill two 4 oz jars so you can keep one and give the other to a suffering friend. Alternatively, store the second jar in the fridge until you need it. You can also use this recipe as a gentle and moisturizing facial cleanser. Just apply with a washcloth or your hands and rinse with warm water.


2 comments:

  1. I feel you on wanting low-maintenance skin back, my skin always acts up with the changing of the seasons and it drives me CRAZY. I usually use a calendula face cream made for babies, but I think I might try this--the more I know about what I'm putting on my skin the better! I'm assuming you need to store it in a cool, dry place?
    And ps I never saw your reply to my comment last month! I think I will add a followers button :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you mention calendula; my original intention was to make this face cream using a calendula-infused oil, but I didn't plan ahead well enough to infuse the oil. However, the next batch I make will involve calendula for sure. I've put it into handmade soap and I really love the color it lends to the bars as well as what it does for the skin.

      Delete