Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sesame & Sea Salt Cracker Recipe


So let me start by saying that I've been wanting to make my own crackers for a long time now, years in fact. As a general rule I like to have as much control as possible about what I put in or on my body, and of course a good way to do this is to make stuff myself. Or at least it's a good way to get closer to that ideal. No, I didn't grow my own wheat or harvest my own sesame seeds, but hey at least I know what ingredients went into these crackers. Oh, and there are other good reasons to make your own crackers. You can adapt them to your own liking/imagination, they are sugar and preservative free, they are super cheap, and EASY to make. I put that in all caps because though people have been telling me that for years and I have wanted to make crackers for years, and I have had the ingredients at hand for years, and access to a working oven, for some reason something was still holding me back. I just couldn't believe that they would be easy and successful. So I kept buying boxes of sodiumtastic crap.

That is until one particularly cozy day when laziness prevailed! I made a big pot of soup on a gray afternoon and snuggled up on the couch with a bowl in my hands. I enjoyed the first few bites but then realized that what I was really missing were crackers for crumbling. But I didn't have any and wasn't very motivated to walk a mile to the grocery store and another mile back to a cold bowl of soup. So I finally tried making crackers.

And it was very easy. And successful.

I recommend you try it out. They're excellent, a little like pita chips. I bet they would make great friends with hummus.

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
Extra salt for sprinkling on top

In a food processor mix together the flour, salt and baking powder. With the processor on, drizzle in the water and oil and combine until the mixture forms a ball. Place the dough in a large mixing bowl, cover with a towel and let rest for half an hour.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Divide the dough into two equal parts and roll out one half on a lightly floured surface. To roll out the dough thinly and evenly, turn it over as you roll it and add flour as needed, until it is about 1/8 of an inch thick. Cut the dough into strips, sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds, and lightly roll the dough one last time to press in the seeds and salt. Transfer carefully to an ungreased baking sheet and poke each strip with a fork several times.

Bake for about 15 minutes, but check them after 12 or so minutes. The crackers are done when they are lightly browned. Let them cool completely before breaking the strips into irregular crackers. Stored in an airtight container they will stay crisp for a couple weeks.

Next time I'm going to try adding different toppings. Maybe poppy seeds, or Parmesan cheese, or garlic?

No comments:

Post a Comment