Sunday, July 8, 2012

Best yet vegan mac 'n' cheese


Here's a simple down-home vegan lunch I made the other day: a quick bbq seitan sandwich using this basic homemade seitan recipe and a side of creamy mac 'n' cheese. I myself am not vegan, but I still found this recipe super tasty. And it's easy, here's how to make it:

1 pound of your favorite pasta (I mixed and matched)

For the sauce:
1/4 cup vegan margarine
1/4 cup flour
3 cups soy milk
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon mustard (I used a Walla Walla sweet onion mustard)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to your likeness. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt margarine over medium heat and add flour. Whisk in flour and cook gently for four or five minutes allowing the mixture to bubble but not burn. Slowly whisk in the soy milk and stir then add the nutritional yeast, ketchup, mustard, salt, and garlic powder. Simmer over low heat for a few minutes until the sauce is thickened but stirred smooth. Take off of heat, add lemon juice and taste for added seasonings (a little hot sauce might be good too?). Drain cooked noodles and toss with the sauce. Happily consume.





1 comment:

  1. Hello AM. I am not vegan either, but that M n C does look yummy. I think the addition of yeast is a good idea. And you can't go wrong adding ketchup!

    ReplyDelete